James Gandolfini once saved The Sopranos guest star Peter Riegert from doing a nude scene

After launching their own The Sopranos rewatch podcast Talking Sopranos, Michael Imperioli andSteve Schirripa are unveiling more behind-the-scenes details in a new book. Imperioli, 55, who played Christopher Moltisanti on the hit HBO series, and Schirripa, 64, who played BobbyBaccalieri on the show, co-wrote the new bookWoke Up This Morning: The Definitive Oral History of

After launching their own The Sopranos rewatch podcast Talking Sopranos, Michael Imperioli and Steve Schirripa are unveiling more behind-the-scenes details in a new book.

Imperioli, 55, who played Christopher Moltisanti on the hit HBO series, and Schirripa, 64, who played Bobby Baccalieri on the show, co-wrote the new book Woke Up This Morning: The Definitive Oral History of The Sopranos, which was published earlier this month.

One of the many stories shared in the book is how the late James Gandolfini saved guest star Peter Riegert from having to go nude on the show.

New book: After launching their own The Sopranos rewatch podcast Talking Sopranos, Michael Imperioli and Steve Schirripa are unveiling more behind-the-scenes details in a new book

New book: After launching their own The Sopranos rewatch podcast Talking Sopranos, Michael Imperioli and Steve Schirripa are unveiling more behind-the-scenes details in a new book

Guest star: One of the many stories shared in the book is how the late James Gandolfini saved guest star Peter Riegert from having to go nude on the show

Guest star: One of the many stories shared in the book is how the late James Gandolfini saved guest star Peter Riegert from having to go nude on the show

Riegert, 74, portrayed Assemblyman Ronald Zellman in six episodes of the show between 2001 and 2002.

During the Season 4 episode Watching Too Much Television, a scene called for Gandolfini’s Tony Soprano to, ‘beat the living s**t’ out of the local politician, while he was naked.

The naked beating was supposed to be retaliation for Zellman’s new relationship with one of Tony’s exes, Irina Peltsin (Oksana Lada), but Riegert revealed he was surprised to learn at the table read that he was supposed to be naked in the scene.

Assemblyman: Riegert, 74, portrayed Assemblyman Ronald Zellman in six episodes of the show between 2001 and 2002

Assemblyman: Riegert, 74, portrayed Assemblyman Ronald Zellman in six episodes of the show between 2001 and 2002

‘In the scene description, it’s written that he pulls my underwear off. We did this whole table read and I was not happy about that,’ Riegert said.

Schirripa mentioned, ‘So it was that he pulled your underwear down and spanked your a**?’

Riegert confirmed that was what was supposed to happen, adding, ‘I was going to be naked. As far as I’m concerned I would have liked a head’s up on that.’

Not happy: 'In the scene description, it’s written that he pulls my underwear off. We did this whole table read and I was not happy about that,' Riegert said

Not happy: ‘In the scene description, it’s written that he pulls my underwear off. We did this whole table read and I was not happy about that,’ Riegert said

Spanked: Schirripa (left, with Michael Imperioli) mentioned, 'So it was that he pulled your underwear down and spanked your a**?'

Spanked: Schirripa (left, with Michael Imperioli) mentioned, ‘So it was that he pulled your underwear down and spanked your a**?’

After the table read, Gandolfini came over to check on Riegert, sensing he was uncomfortable with the scene. 

‘(Gandolfini) said, “How are you with this?” I said, “I’m not happy about this, man. I don’t think you have to humiliate an actor in order to humiliate a character, and I’m a little upset,”‘ Riegert said, adding that Gandolfini saw Riegert was, ‘an actor in trouble.’

After speaking with Riegert, Gandolfini approached series creator David Chase, who co-wrote the episode with Terrence Winter and Nick Santora.

Approached: After speaking with Riegert, Gandolfini approached series creator David Chase, who co-wrote the episode with Terrence Winter and Nick Santora

Approached: After speaking with Riegert, Gandolfini approached series creator David Chase, who co-wrote the episode with Terrence Winter and Nick Santora

‘He called David over and he explained what I was feeling. David said, “Well that’s the way I wrote the scene,”‘ Rieger recalled, before adding how he responded.

‘I said, “David, I think I can act the s**t out of this part and I promise you, the audience will be horrified by what they see, but you don’t have to humiliate me to get that across.” David said, “Well OK,” and he left,’ Riegert added.

Riegert said he wasn’t sure if he was going to get fired after standing his ground, but Gandolfini told him, ‘Whatever you decide to do, I promise you I will have your back.’

Fired: Riegert said he wasn't sure if he was going to get fired after standing his ground, but Gandolfini told him, 'Whatever you decide to do, I promise you I will have your back'

Fired: Riegert said he wasn’t sure if he was going to get fired after standing his ground, but Gandolfini told him, ‘Whatever you decide to do, I promise you I will have your back’

They ultimately came up a compromise that was used in the episode, where Tony used a prop belt on the Assemblyman, while he was wearing long boxers.

‘I told Jimmy, “Listen, this belt is styrofoam, I had the prop guy whack me with it, I didn’t feel nothing. You can wail away on me,”‘ Riegert recalled. 

‘So you know what he did? He went to the prop guy and said, “Hit me with the belt.” Because he wanted to prove to himself that I wasn’t making this up,’ Riegert added.

Compromise: 'I told Jimmy, "Listen, this belt is styrofoam, I had the prop guy whack me with it, I didn’t feel nothing. You can wail away on me,"' Riegert recalled

Compromise: ‘I told Jimmy, “Listen, this belt is styrofoam, I had the prop guy whack me with it, I didn’t feel nothing. You can wail away on me,”‘ Riegert recalled

The scene – set to the mellow tune Oh Girl by the Chi-Lites – was beloved by fans then and now, which Riegert still has gratitude to Gandolfini for.

‘I said to (Gandolfini), “Do you know the word mensch?” He said, “Yes, I think I know what it means.”

I said, “It means human. That’s what it really means. It’s as great a compliment as you can give.”‘ I said, “You are a mensch,”‘ Riegert added.

Gratitude: The scene - set to the mellow tune Oh Girl by the Chi-Lites - was beloved by fans then and now, which Riegert still has gratitude to Gandolfini for

Gratitude: The scene – set to the mellow tune Oh Girl by the Chi-Lites – was beloved by fans then and now, which Riegert still has gratitude to Gandolfini for

ncG1vNJzZmimkZ63or%2FUqZyrnpGjwG%2BvzqZmo5mdmsBus8Cnm6iklp67qnnOp5qeZaOWw6awjK2fnmWjpL2zrc2oqmafpZrAtXnSrZirZaCawaa%2BjKugnp%2BVp8FustGopGacn567qHnAZqWunJViwKSxzZ5m

Share!