Robert Withington trumbull: Man arrested for taking $5,000 found in parking lot

A 56-year-old man named Robert Withington is now facing charges of larceny in connection with an incident where he allegedly took $5,000 in cash from a local bank in Trumbull, Connecticut. The story unfolded when Withington stumbled upon a bag containing the money in a parking lot, describing the find as akin to winning the

A 56-year-old man named Robert Withington is now facing charges of larceny in connection with an incident where he allegedly took $5,000 in cash from a local bank in Trumbull, Connecticut. The story unfolded when Withington stumbled upon a bag containing the money in a parking lot, describing the find as akin to winning the lottery.

The investigation commenced after an employee from the Town’s Tax Collector Office, responsible for delivering the bank deposit bag, noticed it was missing during a routine delivery to the bank on May 30, 2023.

The bag was marked with the bank’s insignia and contained documents identifying the owner as the Town of Trumbull. Trumbull Police detectives conducted a comprehensive investigation, involving interviews, search warrants, and surveillance video reviews from local businesses. Their efforts ultimately led to the discovery that Withington had inadvertently picked up the dropped deposit bag outside the bank.

Withington openly acknowledged taking the bag, which held nearly $5,000, and asserted that he felt under no obligation to return it to its rightful owner. “It turns out the bag, clearly marked with a bank’s insignia and found outside the same bank, contained cash from the town’s tax department. Numerous documents inside identified the rightful owner of the cash as the town of Trumbull,” police reported. “It’s not like this was planned out,” Withington expressed to Hearst Connecticut Media. “Everything was in the moment, and it was like I hit the lottery. That was it.”

“I walked out onto the parking lot, saw something on the ground, and there was no one around, so I picked it up,” Withington conveyed to Hearst. “It’s not like I stole something. If I knew I was wrong in the first place, I would have given it right back. I didn’t think I was doing anything wrong,” he added. “Anybody who knows me knows all I’m about is generosity,” he emphasized. “After living in this town for 20 years, I’m not looking for trouble.”

On Friday, August 25, 2023, Robert Withington was charged with Larceny in the Third Degree following a police investigation into the theft of several thousand dollars in Town tax receipt funds. Larceny involves the unlawful taking of someone else’s property without violence, and intent is a crucial factor in the charge. Withington is scheduled to appear in Bridgeport Superior Court on September 5, 2023. His arrest comes in the aftermath of his unexpected discovery of a bag containing $5,000 in a parking lot, an event he described as feeling like winning the lottery.

ncG1vNJzZmiin5fAo7vTrGWcp51kv7CuxKurZq%2BZqbWqusatpqdlpKfCrq7UpaNmpZGjeqK%2B0Z6qrZ2UYrOwvoytmKShnpx6dnyPaWSfp6WjsW61zWanmqqbnruoecuoq2g%3D

Share!